Corrections: The Fundamentals provides a concise, compelling narrative perspective on American corrections practices & policies. Based on the author’s more than 25 years of research and work inside jails and prisons, Corrections: The Fundamentals describes in detail the people and systems that make up the twenty-first century corrections system.
Part I: HISTORY.
1. Early Punishments.
2. The Penitentiary and the 1800s.
3. Twentieth-Century Corrections Systems.
4. Ideologies and Sentencing.
Part II: SYSTEMS.
6. State and Federal Prisons.
7. Management and Custody.
8. Corrections Policies and Issues.
Part III: Prisoners.
9. Male and Female Prisoners.
10. Prison Life.
11. Special Needs Prisoners.
12. Prisoners’ Rights.
Part IV: Alternatives.
14. Parole and Release from Prison.
15. Probation and Community Corrections.
16. Contrasting Philosophies: American and International Corrections Today.